Sunday, March 27, 2011

Men are nonliving things

So in third grade we've been learning about living and nonliving things and how they both work together to survive. While teaching the first lesson we decided that in order for something to be considered a living organism it has to do three things: take in oxygen, grow/move and reproduce, or for a third grade way of saying it, they have to be able to make more of themselves. So we were having a really good discussion about it and we were able to look at some pictures and decide if they were living or nonliving based on our three rules. One of the girls in class who is very smart had a very concerned look on her face through out the lesson and eventually she raised her hand to ask the question that had been puzzling her. This is about how her question went.

"Mrs. Watson, I'm just a little confused because if you HAVE to be able to reproduce in order to be a living thing...how are men still here?!"

Another student gladly supplied the answer: "THEY'RE NOT LIVING!"

2 comments:

  1. haha I love it! Those kids are just too smart! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the best "teaching" stories I've heard in a looong time! Oh I miss you Janelle!

    ReplyDelete